Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Homework#3: Six Going on Sixteen

My article choice:Six Going on Sixteen

  • I teach Kindergarten.  
  • I just rounded up a year where I witnessed 5 and 6 year old girls enter the class with shoes with heels, and shirts with the shoulders cut out, fake nails, and hoop earrings.  
  • 5 & 6 year old students sharing news about viewing movies like "Deadpool" with their family over the weekend, watching programs like "The Walking Dead,"  and knowing about (and playing?) games like Fortnite (with a 13+ rating).  
  • The songs and the dance moves are current and top 40 with and without swear words, sexual language, and violence.  

 In the classroom 95% of the students actions were suppressing conversations and activities surrounding these extra curricular activities they partake in (while I was looking and listening); 

Recess time was a difficult time to control and the pushing and the swearing and the mimicking of these age inappropriate programs and video games they were watching and playing were being re-enacted on the playground, to include the profane language.


  • We constantly were holding Meeting Circles to talk about appropriate games and language and actions.  
  • I directly taught them that they are not old enough to watch these programs and repeat the words they hear because they are 5 and 6 years old.  
  • I point out the ratings of 13 and older and the privileges that adults have to use any language they want.  
  • I also pointed out how I and my colleagues and the Principal of our school talk to each other and children. 
    • Do we act this way?  
    • Do we use swear words when talking to students and children?  
    • You get the picture.   


This is why the title "Six going on Sixteen" captured my attention.  I found I was not the only Kindergarten teacher who found a class with students acting much older than their age.  This chapter consumes pages 37 - 45 in "Rethinking Popular Culture and Media" edited by E. Marshall and O. Sensoy.

My biggest take aways from the chapter:

The cause of this phenomenon:
  • "The corporate world deliberately targets vulnerable children." p 39
  • "...the toy market has dramatically changed since children't television was deregulated in 1984." p 39
  • Another possible contributing factor:  with the high demand of standardized tests in the schools including early childhood:  Kindergarten is more like first grade yet our students are not developmentally prepared for this kind of learning.
The name of this phenomenon:
  • Age Compression:  "term used by media professionals and marketers to describe how children at ever younger ages are doing what older children used to do." p 39
  • ...additionally boundaries have been blurred between children and adults
    • this is demonstrated in the fashion industry with similar clothing being marketed for children and adults
    • "...especially disturbing when it involves sexual behavior.  Children become involved in and learn about sexual issues and behavior they do not yet have the intellectual or emotional ability to understand and that can confuse them." p 39
What actions can we take?
  • Keep Parents informed/educate parents
  • Bring Play back into the classroom: 
    • dramatic play
    • blocks
    • art center
  • Power down from media and technology and play age appropriate games
  • Older children and adults model appropriate play and problem solving in play
Useful Resources for educators and parents:
www.allianceforchildhood.org 

www.commercialfreechildhood.org

www.truceteachers.org (Teachers Resisting Unhealthy Children's Entertainment)

4 comments:

  1. Hey Dawn,

    I definitely agree that the pop culture and the media are helping to shape the mindset of the young malleable minds, but not always in a positive way. This latest generation of students are so open and willing to talk about personal things so candidly. Conversations too delicate that I am not qualified to engage in with them. I have to refer them to other personnel to handle such topics. I believe the media plays a large role in the changing of our students' mindsets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed Dena. I was simply reporting on the chapter I read. I left out what we know, at home the media is being supported when parents permit their children to listen and watch (for various reasons). I found the truce teachers website to be most helpful for spearheading these issues.

      Delete
  2. I am a little blown away at what kind of content and media that parents allow their children to watch and see. I have heard parents say things like "they don't know what they are seeing" or "they don't understand it anyway" and I want to scream. They don't and shouldn't but the exposure especially without discussion with an adult can be traumatic for children. Every year that I have taught fifth grade I have had at least one student friend request me on FB. These are 10 year olds who don't belong on FB which is a conversation I have had with many 10 year olds. I wish we could encourage kids to be kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Just wanted to say that your highlighting here made this really easy to read and take away major points! :) )

    ReplyDelete

The Final Project :)

My Project:  My Website and Remind My Narrative:                                           The Written Assignment Rubric Self Score ...